Wednesday, January 28, 2009

One Hen, Two Ducks, Three Squawking Geese

Belated birthday wishes to my Dad!

We mailed your gift at Christmas (a Christmas miracle indeed!) and called you (but didn't reach you, boo!) on your special day ... but I didn't get this blog done on the 26th as intended.

I love you more than the tardiness of my blog entry shows!

I'm not a photo person, meaning I take them as infrequently as possible (of myself and of others) ... which in turn meant I only had a few photos to select from in the album my mom compiled for me a few years ago.

How to pick one that best embodies you, Dad?

There's me riding on your shoulders. Me in your arms looking at my birthday cake, not quite sure what to make of it. (Notice that trepidation around cake didn't last long). Me in my fancy cat face that you laboriously applied one Halloween. (How I loved looking at that book of painted faces and the lush make-up you purchased that year!)

Then there's this photo. Probably one of my favorites. Twinkling eyes. Mischievous smile under the beard I've always known you to have. And of course, the bunny ears. (I'm sure I would have been exasperated had I known at the time I was receiving them. I was, after all, the ripe age of 18 and way too mature for that sort of thing.)

Spontaneity. Silliness. The giggles.

A gift you've given me, time and time again.

I wish you many more years of laughter, ridiculous songs, and sudden, unexpected skipping in public places. (You can't deny it. Anyone who knows you, knows it's true.)

Love you!

1 comment:

Mike, Crystal, Peanut, Maemae, Lelou and Corbin said...

*whispering* Ronda...did you know your dad is Santa Claus?! I knew he was real!

What a great picture, I don't know why you don't take them more often!