Sunday, February 15, 2009

Ode to my Valentine

Since I turned 34 in 2009, I made a list of 34 things to accomplish this year. Item #13: Blog once a week. For shame, I've already missed the last two weeks!

But I have found myself exiled to the office this morning, and my options are: paperwork, more paperwork or computer work. I've already done my homework for Tuesday, and in fact, my homework for Thursday as well. (Item #1: Complete 4 college courses.)

Steve is sleeping on the couch. He injured his knee at work on Friday night, falling down a hill chasing a suspected car thief, not realizing - in the darkness of the night - that he was running down a hill. Something about momentum in his torso being ahead of the momentum in his feet and ultimately going head over heels ... poor guy. He has his entire right leg immobilized by a giant brace, which is making sleeping difficult for him. He started in the bed last night, but at some point made the laborious move to the couch.

So I'm stuck in the office. And the cats are stuck in the garage, so my darling, injury-prone husband can get as much sleep as possible.

Hopefully he can see the doctor tomorrow. The initial hospital visit was inconclusive due to massive swelling (picture a camel hump rather than a knee). I can't remember what all he said could be wrong with it - something in there is deformed, his kneecap may have been out of place, he might have a torn patella tendon? (I swear I listened to him when he told me .. but I make a better nurse in practice than in study. I'll even admit that I only remember the patella part because he did a Google search for it and it was still listed up in the little search window.) Anyway, we don't know yet the extent of the injury, so we don't know what's in his future: a knee brace with rest and physical therapy, or surgery.

My original plan for this Valentine's weekend was to surprise him with a trip to Timberline Lodge, and make him take me downhill skiing for the first time in my life (Item #10). Thank goodness they were booked by the time I called! I had downgraded our plans to hiking a waterfall (Item #14), but when I saw him at our front door, I knew the plans were a) watch TV, b) help him clean and bandage his road-rashed hands and knees, c) watch TV, d) help him with his socks (this is another reason I should never have a child - I simply cannot put socks on anyone but me!), and e) watch TV. Notice none of these are on my "34 Things" list?

Oh well. What better way to show your Valentine that you love them than by being willing to dote on them, hand, knee and foot?

Here's a little Valentine poem for you, my sweet:

Your hair is red,

Your eyes are blue,
Despite ground-meat hands and Hunchback of Notre Dame knee,
I love you.

3 comments:

Mike, Crystal, Peanut, Maemae, Lelou and Corbin said...

Ronda, you are the best! Are you really buying that he was running down hill though?

Judy D in WA said...

Poor Steve, I really, really feel sorry for him.
Ronda, you are a saint and don't let him forget it! Hugs to you both.

The Erickson Family said...

Ronda, your poem was hilarious! Hope Steve's knee is improving!!!