Saturday, February 21, 2009

Tram-tastic

When it's windy here during the winter, you lay down at night - earplugs in - and say a prayer that the wind will be gone when you wake up. When you wake up and realize it's still windy, well, words can't really describe the disappointment.

Today it seems like it might be a little lighter. Not "go outside and have some fun" or even "go outside and do some work" lighter, but "hmm, maybe I won't go completely insane if this is as bad as it's going to get" lighter. Or, "oh that's right, the forecast calls for rain, which is usually the only time the wind stops blowing in the winter" lighter.

But insane I'm starting to feel. Kind of a typical state for me in February, but exaggerated by the wind. A couple of years ago we visited friends in Arizona in February (you know who you are, the only two people who actually read this blog). That was an a-typical state for me to be in (heh) and it was glorious. It was sunshine and expansive blue skies and warmth and puppies and kittens and rainbows and magical sparkle dust.

I want to go on vacation!

In lieu of doing so, as we're saving our time for a trip to the east coast this summer (fingers crossed), we were reminiscing over our vacation photos from Colorado last year. Figured we'd finally share some. Consider this blog the first of several installments.



Above: The tram (gondola, whatever) ride we took from Glenwood Springs, 4300 feet up to Iron Mountain. The views were spectacular. On the way down, we found out we were riding with a local celebrity, some middle-aged-hottie-with-a-great-voice newscaster whose daughter just had to spill the beans about who her dad was. We didn't recognize him, of course, so neat, kid.

Below: Some of the incredible views from the Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park at the top of Iron Mountain.





If you enlarge the last picture, you'll see Steve floating in one of the rafts down the river. (Just kidding. Did you really do it?) He was on the mountain with me. Ridiculously, we ran out of time to go rafting. Next trip!

Next installment: What's a girl to eat for breakfast while on vacation? Cave bacon.

3 comments:

Judy D in WA said...

Brave people you are. I am so afraid of heights and there is no way ever, never you would get me into one of those hangie down things. Looking at the gorgeous photos, knowing you were that far off the ground gives me the heeby geebies!
I do read your blog so keep on posting. Hugs, Judy

Mike, Crystal, Peanut, Maemae, Lelou and Corbin said...

See, we aren't the only ones that read it!!! Then again, I'm not sure Judy really knows how to read, she might just come by for the photos :)

I'm such a brat!

We need to get together soon, I'm losing my Sundays off this next sign up :(

The Erickson Family said...

Not true... I stop by regularly! I'm just terrible at posting these days! Fun to see these photos!