Thursday, July 13, 2006

Lebanon (as in the country, for you locals)

Friends that are reading this post may be aware that my sister is married to a Lebanese man. He has many, many friends and family members still in Lebanon, and we are very concerned about the increasing violence that has been occurring there since Wednesday.

I am no lover of politics or the media, and I readily admit that I struggle to grasp both the enormity and the intricacies of conflicts like these.

What is not escaping my attention, however, is the mention of "dozens of Lebanese citizens" dead. Citizens that I pray are not my extended family who have so lavishly accepted my sister as one of their own. Or any of the gracious guests who embraced and kissed us at my sister's wedding. Or the lovely strangers who gave my parents a bowl of fresh grapes after they stopped to admire an arbor growing over their front door. Or the wonderful airport employee who helped Steve and I secure a flight out of Lebanon when we missed our first one due to us drinking in the sights a little too long.

War always breaks my heart. And, right or wrong, I always feel powerless to do anything about it. But this time, in addition to praying for peaceful resolution, I will be sending a quick email to my senators. If you feel so inclined to take either action, I would deeply appreciate it.

I have to. I've toured some of Lebanon's beautiful countryside. I've seen shepherds walking a small herd of goats along the road in the mountains. I've stepped foot into some of the exquisite stone churches there. I've seen their famous and exotic cedars. I've dipped my toes in the warm Mediterranean Sea (see photo above). I've walked through the ruins where paper was invented. I've wandered through downtown Beirut at midnight and been awed at the reconstruction that has occured there since the last war.

If you would like to join me in sending a letter to your senators, you can do so at www.senate.gov. If you're not sure what to say, I can provide you with a copy of what I'll be sending. And if you want to do a bit of reading on the conflict, I've attached an article from CNN online below.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/07/13/mideast/index.html

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Very touching, Ronda! Thanks for joining the blog world.