Saturday, February 02, 2013

To Do: Matzo Ball Soup

I'm finding that keeping lists works for me. I need the pointed focus, and I relish the sense of satisfaction that comes from crossing things off.

I make impossibly long and ambitious lists, however. I always have. I stopped making lists when I was younger because items left undone would cause copious amounts of guilt and anxiety. Is it possible that I'm mellowing with age? Now I look at my long, ambitious lists ... and prioritize. What a concept! Items left undone are re-evaluated: move them to another day? delete them because, ultimately, they aren't that important?

I have daily lists: do laundry, work out for 35 minutes, take my BA131 test, add zoo internships to my vision board. A yearly list of goals with the number of items "to be done" matching the number of my years ... goals selected from a much longer list of potential goals for that year: run in two 5Ks, finish eating the last of the remaining NutriSystem food, try Heidi's Restaurant, finish reading my grandpa's journal, start school full-time in April. A bucket list for lifetime dreams and ambitions: become a bone marrow donor, go ziplining, swim with dolphins, get a college degree, see Josh Groban in concert.

Almost 20 years ago, an acquaintance invited me over for dinner. She served matzo ball soup, and I loved it. About 10 years ago, I saw a box of matzo ball soup mix in the grocery store and impulsively bought it. I never made it. Until tonight ... because I put in on the potential "38 Things To Do in 2013" list, and then moved it to my daily list ... and I prioritized it.

And even though matzo ball soup was remarkably more delicious in my memory, it made an incredibly satisfying dinner for my soul.

No comments: