Saturday, February 16, 2013

Ronnie


This is Ronnie, a ridiculous little terrier poodle mix currently available for adoption at the shelter. Ronnie was a stray, dropped off at the shelter last weekend, and he was the recipient of my first vaccination. Unlucky for him. Lucky for me, he has a very sweet disposition and gave me lots of kisses afterwards.

Tanya, the animal care aide training me that day, said we had to name him after me since he was my "first". We decided the male version of "Ronda" was "Ronald" ... but that's a little old man name, and this guy is a young punk. "Ronnie" it was.

This morning, Ronnie had his neuter surgery. I didn't get to work until noon as I was training in surgery. It took me a while to spot him looking down at me woozily from his top row kennel in the recovery room. When it came time to transfer him to the adoption floor, I was supposed to leash and walk him, but this little lovebug wanted to be held and even rested his head on my shoulder.

I have no doubt that Ronnie probably loves on all the shelter staff equally, but I'm always going to have a special spot for him in my heart.

There are some things that I have true anxiety about at the shelter. Poking unfamiliar, scared animals with needles is one of them. Ronnie helped my through my first poke. I know it will take me a while before I feel comfortable with this skill, but at least it will never be my first time again.

Here's Ronnie's "All About Me" write up on the shelter website:
I know I am almost too cute for words! But I have a secret to tell you...lean a little closer...don't tell anyone, but I can be naughty. I know, hard to believe but true. I may look like a fuzzy little lap dog but I am a smart and active guy in need of training and lots of daily exercise. I have been known to growl at dogs and sniff others politely. I know! I don't get it either but the shelter staff have faith in me and feel that a good program of reward based training and lots of jobs to do will help tone down my daily naughtiness. If you want a dog who will make you smile everyday, then ask about me! I am looking for a cat free home and may need to be the only pet. If you have another dog already, a social adult dog may be the best match. I am just about 2 years of age and I weigh a healthy 11lbs.
 Hope your find your forever home soon, little buddy!

No comments: