Friday, February 15, 2008

You Catch More Flies With Honey

I didn't call because I was too angry, and I was afraid I might say something I'd later regret.

I did, however, leave a still-seething letter for my former boss at the newspaper biz last night, when she neglected - for the fourth month in a row - to pay her employees when promised. This ongoing saga has included late payments, bounced payments, bounced re-payments and a boss who has been less than forthcoming about any of it. Fortunately, I haven't suffered an eviction from my apartment and repossession of my car as some of my former co-workers have as a result of her ineptitude.

When I woke up this morning, I thought I might feel some pangs of regret over my strongly-worded letter. I don't. I guess she just pushed too far, for too long, and took too great advantage of whatever forgiveness, generosity, and benefit of the doubt I could muster.

Here are some excerpts. Scold me if you so desire.


"The fact that you did not bother to call me about this change of plans [getting paid more than a week later than we were supposed to] is enormously disappointing. The cavalier and reckless manner in which you consistently handle people's pay - and the lack of respect that you show your employees by continually neglecting to communicate with them - are truly reprehensible."
________________________________________

"During my employment with you, I went above and beyond the call of duty and the confines of our contract to assist you and help you succeed in your new venture. Even so, I am not asking for additional compensation for all of my extra time and effort. I am merely asking to be paid what is owed, in a timely fashion, and without error."
________________________________________

"I'm frustrated beyond belief and out of patience. I tried to give you constructive feedback over the last few months regarding your communication skills, conflict resolution tactics and bookkeeping practices, and you have blatantly disregarded every concern I shared, with disastrous results."
________________________________________

"I would be happy to talk to you about any of this if you so desired, but I will not be initiating the conversation. At this point, I'm weary of the drama and simply want to be paid. I do wish you well, and hope that you are able and willing to do what it takes to successfully manage your business."


We'll see what happens. I believe in the adage "you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar", but sweetness is lost on this woman. Perhaps bitterness might get us somewhere. Like the bank.

2 comments:

The Erickson Family said...

Ronders - I was thinking about you today - wondering if I should e-mail or call when I decided to see if there was any "news" on your blog and ... there is!

GRRRRRRR is what comes to my mind! I can't believe it... I was wondering what was happening with this... When I read the first part of your post I thought, "How I wish I could read that letter", so thank you for posting portions of it. What a joke she is. I can't believe what some of the other employees have had to endure because of her. UGH.

Hope to hear news about your new job soon!

Mike, Crystal, Peanut, Maemae, Lelou and Corbin said...

Clearly, if ever there were a time and place for it, this was it. Ronda the Destroyer should have rode onto the scene on her giant black steed and laid waste to the evil doers that lurked in the land. Starting with the canker sore of a woman that runs that paper distribution office. I can handle being rubbed the wrong way, but when I see a friend rubbed the wrong way for so long and with no positive outcome...I draw the line.

You did way better than I would have done. I'd have gone over her head with the problems and gotten her removed or replaced with someone that was at least capable of paying their bills on time. Sheesh!!! So glad you got out when you did. I wish you nothing but comfort and joy (and not just the Christmas song type) in your new job. Good riddance to her!