Saturday, October 07, 2006

The Wedding Crashers

Greetings from our exotic living room! Having a wonderful time; wish you were here!

Last night was my cousin Katie's wedding. In typical Steve and Ronda fashion, we forgot to bring our camera, so we missed many photo ops at the gorgeous Lakeside Gardens, complete with swans. A quick snapshot with the mosquitoes in our living room will have to substitute.

It was a lovely outdoor ceremony, and though it was a bit chilly at 7 o'clock, the rain from earlier had blessedly stopped. I was honored to be part of the ceremony by providing some of the music. My marionette-playing-banjo-ventriloquism act was a hit! The highlight of the ceremony for me, however, was hearing about how Katie and Justin met; rather, how Justin stalked Katie until she noticed him. Or something like that. (Welcome to the family!)

During the reception, I decided to liven things up even more - I went up with all the single ladies and fought my way into catching the bouquet. Then I went up with all the single men and muscled my way into catching the garter. Okay, I did neither. But the "Mission Impossible" music playing during the merriment made me wish I had. Predictably, we instead sat and enjoyed the company and the delicious food, notably the Brie en Croute (best pronounced with an over-the-top twangy Southern accent). It was great seeing family and friends from the Midwest.

There were many toasts during the reception, but my uncle Tom's was particularly stirring. I always forget how poetic and articulate he is. As he spoke of Katie's essence and how everything she does in life is a dance, I realized just how much we've missed by not spending more time with her since her move to Oregon. Thankfully - God willing - we have more time with her, and now we have the added blessing of Justin.

Congratulations to you both.

2 comments:

Mike, Crystal, Peanut, Maemae, Lelou and Corbin said...

Better visit with them while you can, cause once you come to visit, I'm not letting either of you return home...well...maybe for clean underware...and thats a big maybe.

The Erickson Family said...

I love this photo of you two! You both look great!

Hope we can get together soon!

~ S